Re: BUG #6718: Cannot delete, create or check existence of extension - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: BUG #6718: Cannot delete, create or check existence of extension
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 07/05/2012 09:06 PM, Gary Haran wrote:
> I installed it using an hstore.sql file that comes with the home brew
> (https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/) version of postgresql on OS X.
>  Maybe we missed a step or something in the whole installation process.
>
> We most likely upgraded our pg version at some point (we try to stay
> with the times).
If you upgrade an existing database to 9.1 and that database has contrib
modules loaded in it, you must convert them to extensions using the
syntax I gave previously. It's right there in the release notes under
"Migrating to version 9.1":

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/release-9-1.html#AEN107367

This is a bit of a wart, in that it'd be much nicer to be able to
transparently re-package pre-extension contrib modules into extensions.
I know Dimitri and Tom tried to get this working, but it clearly wasn't
possible to make it work simply and reliably. Since it's a one-off
migration during upgrade, it isn't that big a deal.

If you need help doing this or you have further questions, please ask
for help on the pgsql-general mailing list.

--
Craig Ringer