Re: what's difference between vacuum analyze and analyze? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: what's difference between vacuum analyze and analyze?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/28/2012 08:24 AM, leaf_yxj wrote:
> I was asked to write a security definer function to make other user can issue
> vacuum and analyze command? Friends in this community said vacuum doesn't
> work inside the function or multi command. How about analyze.  I know vacuum
> is something much like oracle shrink which is used to reorganize the space
> in the disk.  Analyze is used to collect the statistic info of the table.
> Does analyze works in Function or mulit-commands?

test=> BEGIN ;
BEGIN
test=> ANALYZE ;
WARNING:  skipping "pg_authid" --- only superuser can analyze it
WARNING:  skipping "pg_database" --- only superuser can analyze it
WARNING:  skipping "pg_db_role_setting" --- only superuser can analyze it
WARNING:  skipping "pg_tablespace" --- only superuser can analyze it
WARNING:  skipping "pg_pltemplate" --- only superuser can analyze it
WARNING:  skipping "pg_auth_members" --- only superuser can analyze it
WARNING:  skipping "pg_shdepend" --- only superuser can analyze it
WARNING:  skipping "pg_shdescription" --- only superuser can analyze it
ANALYZE
test=> COMMIT ;
COMMIT
test=> BEGIN ;
BEGIN
test=> VACUUM ANALYZE ;

ERROR:  VACUUM cannot run inside a transaction block

test=>

For details:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/sql-vacuum.html

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/sql-analyze.html