Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Artur Litwinowicz
Subject Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database
Date
List pgsql-hackers
W dniu 2012-03-05 22:09, Pavel Stehule pisze:
> 2012/3/5 Artur Litwinowicz <admin@ybka.com>:
>> W dniu 2012-03-05 20:56, Alvaro Herrera pisze:
>>>
>>> Excerpts from Artur Litwinowicz's message of lun mar 05 16:18:56 -0300 2012:
>>>
>>> Yeah, it'd be good to have something.  Many people say it's not
>>> necessary, and probably some hackers would oppose it; but mainly I think
>>> we just haven't agreed (or even discussed) what the design of such a
>>> scheduler would look like.  For example, do we want it to be able to
>>> just connect and run queries and stuff, or do we want something more
>>> elaborate able to start programs such as running pg_dump?  What if the
>>> program crashes -- should it cause the server to restart?  And so on.
>>> It's not a trivial problem.
>>>

>> Yes, yes it is not a trivial problem... - tools like "pgAgent" are good
>> when someone starts play with PostgreSQL - but this great environment
>> (only one serious against something like Oracle or DB2) needs something
>> professional, production ready. It can not happen when we are upgrading
>> database or OS and can not compile "pgAgent" because of "strange"
>> dependences... and for example whole sofisticated solution like web
>> application with complicated data flow has a problem... For example I am
>> using stored functions developed in Lua language, which are writing and
>> reading data to and from Redis server with a periods less then one
>> minute. Without "heart beat" like precise job manager it can not works
>> as professional as it can. Every one can use CRON or something like that
>> - yes it works but PostgreSQL has so many features and something like
>> job manager is inalienable in mine mind.
>
> Long time a strategy for PostgreSQL was a minimal core and extensible
> modules without duplication some system services. This strategy is
> valid still but some services are in core - example should be
> replication.
>
> Some proposals about custom scheduler exists
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-02/msg01701.php and
> it is part of ToDo - so this feature should be in core (in next 2-4
> years).
>
> Why this is not in core? Nobody wrote it :).
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel Stehule
>

>> Best regards,
>> Artur
>>

>> --

Ouch... "in next 2-4 years" - it broke my heart like a bullet - You
should not write it... ;)
I feel that I need to set aside SQL, Python, PHP and so on and take to
my hands old book about C programming language from university ;)
I hope my words are like drops of water for this idea and in the future
some people will be happy to use professional job manager :)

Best regards,
Artur

Attachment