Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make group commit more effective. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make group commit more effective.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 30.01.2012 23:06, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 30.01.2012 22:50, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 30.01.2012 20:27, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> Either this patch, or something else committed this morning, is
>>> causing "make check" to hang or run extremely slowly for me. I think
>>> it's this patch, because I attached to a backend and stopped it a few
>>> times, and all the backtraces look like this:
>>
>> Yeah, sure looks like it's the group commit commit. It works for me, and
>> staring at the code, I have no idea what could be causing it. The
>> buildfarm seems happy too, so this is pretty mysterious.
>
> And just after sending that, I succeeded to reproduce this. I had to
> lower wal_buffers to a small value to make it happen. I'm debugging this
> now..

It was a bug in the LWLockRelease code, after all. Fixed. Unfortunately
this added a couple more instructions to that critical codepath, but I
think it should still go without notice. Let me know if this doesn't fix
the hang on your laptop.