Re: pg_dump --exclude-table-data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_dump --exclude-table-data
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 11/04/2011 10:21 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

>> A slightly updated patch is attached, the main change being that I removed
>> use of a short option and only support the long name option. "-D" didn't
>> seem sufficiently mnemonic to me. I'll add this to the November commitfest,
>> but I'd like to get it committed ASAP as it will simplify setting up the
>> -pre and -post data patches.
> Instead of:
>
> do NOT dump data for the named table(s)
>
> How about:
>
> dump only schema for the named table(s)

I have no great objection to the wording change.

> I'm also a bit concerned about the relationship between this and the
> existing -s option.  It seems odd that you use --schema-only to get
> the behavior database-wide, and --exclude-table-data to get it for
> just one table.  Is there some way we can make that a bit more
> consistent?

It's consistent, and was designed to be, with the --exclude-table
option. I'm not sure what you want it to look like instead. But TBH I'm
more interested in getting the functionality than in how it's spelled.

cheers

andrew