Re: pg_dump --exclude-table-data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pg_dump --exclude-table-data
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> I'm also a bit concerned about the relationship between this and the
>> existing -s option.  It seems odd that you use --schema-only to get
>> the behavior database-wide, and --exclude-table-data to get it for
>> just one table.  Is there some way we can make that a bit more
>> consistent?
>
> It's consistent, and was designed to be, with the --exclude-table option.
> I'm not sure what you want it to look like instead. But TBH I'm more
> interested in getting the functionality than in how it's spelled.

Ah, hmm.  Well, maybe it's fine the way that you have it.  But I'd be
tempted to at least add a sentence to the sgml documentation for each
option referring to the other, e.g. "To dump only schema for all
tables in the database, see --schema-only." and "To exclude table data
for only a subset of tables in the database, see
--exclude-table-data.", or something along those lines.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company