Re: Recover data.... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Recover data....
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Azghar Hussain" <Azghar.Hussain@rmsi.com> wrote:
> Due to some unknown reason all contents of PostGresql data folder
> (D:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data) got deleted except base and
> global folder.
> Please let me If I can recover my whole data..
Several of the other folders contain information crucial to storing
the data -- they are an integral part of the database.  It may be
possible to rebuild some approximation of what is correct, but you
will probably have some data loss or corruption if you go that way.
The first thing is to copy what is left of the data directory tree
to a backup location and keep it safe.
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Corruption
The next thing is probably to decide if you want to put a lot of
time and resources into recovering what you can from what's left of
your database, or just go to your last good backup.  What backup
technique are you using?  How current is the copy?
If you want to try to recover, you should provide a lot more
information.  This page provides some advice in that regard:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems
You might want to pay for expert help:
http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support/
-Kevin