Re: silent installer - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: silent installer
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 11/23/2011 01:06 AM, Skusa, Andre wrote:

Hello postgres admins,

is there any silent installer for current postgres releases (>= 9.x) available? Or what should I consider if I plan to include postgres in the installer of my own software package?

The installer has command line options for non-interactive / silent installation. Try using the --help, -h or /? flags (don't remember which) on the installer.

Consider *asking* the user if they want Pg installed or if they'd like to provide their own database settings instead. If you do silent install, please consider what'll happen if the user already has the same version of PostgreSQL installed. You'll still need to provide them with a way to tell your application which database settings to use, since your installer won't overwrite an already-installed version of Pg.

Alternately, you can use the PostgreSQL .zip package, creating a user account and service account yourself. That has the advantage of letting you create your own package that's independent of any regular PostgreSQL installation so you can set your own user account, service account, password, etc. The downside is that it's a lot more work to get right.

--
Craig Ringer