Re: How to write a own parser for full text search - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: How to write a own parser for full text search
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/21/11 1:51 AM, Antonio Franzoso wrote:

> I have installed PostgreSQL server on a Windows Server 2008 server and
> I need to write a more complex parser than the default one in
> PostgreSQL. Searching on internet i found this example:
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/docs/HOWTO-parser-tsearch2.html
>
> where the parser is written in C language. I would know if can I write
> the parser in another language (Java, I'm very poor in C)? And, if I
> can, what kind of file would contain the functions of the parser (a
> dll file, a class file).
> The last question is: in that example are used some functions
> (PG_GETARG_POINTER, PG_GETARG_INT32, and so on) that seem PostgreSQL
> specific functions; which functions can I use in java?

you'd better learn C if you want to do this.   those functions are part
of the tsearch parser API, which is a machine level API interface, Java
would be a huge uphill battle of fighting JNI stuff to get working, and
then you'd be attaching the whole huge bloated JVM to the side of
postgresql to implement this.