Re: Out of Memory Error on Insert - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Out of Memory Error on Insert
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/18/2011 02:52 PM, Mark Priest wrote:
> I am getting an Out of Memory error in my server connection process
> while running a large insert query.
>
> Postgres version: "PostgreSQL 8.2.16 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by
> GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)"
> OS: Windows 7 Professional (v.6.1, build 7601 service pack 1)
> The OS is 64 bit but the postgres app is a 32-bit app and I run out of
> memory and the server process crashes as soon as I hit 2 GB of memory.
>   I assume that is because that is the limit for 32-bit apps.
> My client connection is via JDBC in case that is important.

You're on an old 8.2 subrelease, 8.2.16 from 2010-03-15 that lacks
important bug-fixes; the latest 8.2 is 8.2.22 from 2011-09-26. See:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release.html

More to the point, you're on 8.2 on Windows! I strongly recommend moving
to a newer release if you can, as the newer releases are significantly
improved in performance and reliability on Windows.

For this specific issue, the only thing that comes to mind is whether
you have any AFTER INSERT triggers on this table, or whether you have
any DEFERRABLE constraints (irrespective of whether or not they're
INITIALLY DEFERRED or not). PostgreSQL must keep track of these to
execute them at the end of the transaction, and currently doesn't
support writing this list to disk when it gets too big so it can
eventually fill the backend's available RAM on huge inserts.

If your issue is with a constraint, a workaround is to drop the
constraint, do the insert, then re-establish the constraint and commit
the transaction.

If it's a trigger, that's trickier. Do the insert in smaller batches if
you can, or see if you can disable the trigger, do the inserts, then do
all its work in one go at the end.

--
Craig Ringer