Re: Help on PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Help on PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Help on PostgreSQL  (Raghavendra <raghavendra.rao@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 10/10/11 19:57, Sarma Chavali wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> We are new to PostgreSQL world.
>
>  But, our company is planning to  migrate the one of the existing
> application to PostgreSQL from Oracle.
>
>  Could you please help us to find answers to the following questions?
>
>  1.What version of PostgreSQL is stable at the moment for production?

The 9.1 series is relatively new, but in stable release. If you're still
in the planning stage for your migration you should certainly select 9.1 .

Each major version has significant performance and feature enhancements.
It's usually best to start with the latest major release when beginning
a project.

>  2.Is there any enterprise version available with all features?

The free PostgreSQL comes with all available features; it's not a "lite"
version with paid "enterprise" add-ons.

That said, there are separate companies that produce products based on
PostgreSQL. While many of these companies contribute to the PostgreSQL
core and are active members of the PostgreSQL community, they don't
control PostgreSQL. Any software they sell may be based on PostgreSQL,
but it's really a new and different product. These products add
additional functionality. One of the better-known is EnterpriseDB, who
have Pg variants with Oracle compatibility enhancements.

http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/index.php?/archives/133-Database-Administration,-Reporting,-and-Light-application-development.html

>  4.What is the best way of resolving the issues or queries?

If you're willing to put a little effort in, this mailing list will
often be able to help out. I'm not sure how much Oracle expertise there
is on the list, so Oracle-to-Pg migration questions may not get a great
response.

If you want in-depth assistance with a project, especially with
migrations, you might be better off talking to one of the professional
consultants who work with PostgreSQL. Have a look at the list here:

  http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support

--
Craig Ringer