Re: Upgrading from 9.0->9.1 Ubuntu Best Practices - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Toby Corkindale
Subject Re: Upgrading from 9.0->9.1 Ubuntu Best Practices
Date
List pgsql-general
On 16/09/11 12:43, adebarros wrote:
> Hi, all, first post on this list.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 and have Postgres 9.0 and 8.4 both installed,
> although I'm only working with 9.0 at this time for some Django development.
>
> I have added this PPA to my Upgrade Manager:
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/pitti/postgresql/ubuntu
>
> The other day I noticed the Upgrade Manager fetched a few 9.1-related files
> that were quite small, certainly not the entire 9.1 update.
>
> What is the recommended way for me to:
> -- Install 9.1
> -- Move my databases to 9.1 from 9.0
> -- Remove 9.0 and 8.4 from my system
>
> Thanks!

Since you're on Ubuntu, there's a fairly easy way.

* Install all the 9.1 stuff - server, client, etc.
* Run pg_upgradecluster
* Verify it's all working OK on the new DB.
* Uninstall the 9.0 stuff

Note that the 9.1 server will get installed on a higher port number so
it doesn't conflict with the existing server package.. You'll want to
edit postgresql.conf and change it back to normal once you're done.