Re: Remote connection shows localhost databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Remote connection shows localhost databases
Date
List pgsql-general
On 15/09/11 22:40, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 15:30 -0400, Jeff Adams wrote:
>>
>> When I try to connect to the remote machine, I enter \\<server>\<ip_address>
>> into the host name field.
>
>The host field should contain the
> socket complete path, or the host name, or the ip address.

As Guillaume says - try just the IP address to start with. What you've
been trying is sort-of a Windows networking path. Odd that pgAdmin
doesn't give an error though.

If you were using psql you'd type something like:
   psql -h <ip-addr> -U <username> -d <dbname>

Once you're happy the ip-address is working, try just the server-name by
itself. You'll want the internet name for the machine which in theory
can be different from the Windows network name, but usually is the same.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd