Re: how delete/insert/update affects select performace? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: how delete/insert/update affects select performace?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 09/08/2011 12:40 PM, Anibal David Acosta wrote:
> Postgres 9.0 on windows server 2008 r2
> HW is a dell dual processor with 16gb of ram .

The general guidelines for Windows servers such as
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server recommend
a fairly small setting for the shared_buffers parameters on Windows--no
more than 512MB.  That makes your server a bit less likely to run in the
nasty checkpoint spike issues Kevin was alluding to.  I don't think
we've seen any reports of that on Windows.  The problem is worst on Linux.