Re: Displaying accumulated autovacuum cost - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Displaying accumulated autovacuum cost
Date
Re: Displaying accumulated autovacuum cost
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/18/2011 10:12 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Perhaps a reasonable way to break up the patch would be:
> - Part 1: Gather the information and display it in the
> log_autovacuum_min_duration output.
> - Part 2: Add the ability to see the information incrementally (via
> some mechanism yet to be agreed upon).

My reaction to all the suggestions for redesign is just that: pull out
the part that does the incremental updates altogether, improve the part
that dumps the info into the logs, and resubmit without any incremental
progress for now.  This is much more valuable to me if the first commit
that hits is something I can backport trivially.  I'm seeing enough
production servers running into this problem right now on earlier
versions to be worried about that, and the log dump at the end would be
a huge help even if that was all they got.  I'm going to add directly
computing the write MB/s figure from the dirty data written too, since
that ends up being the thing that I keep deriving by hand anyway.