Re: spinlock contention - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: spinlock contention
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07/08/2011 04:21 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
>> Patch attached.
>
>> Beware that it needs at least GCC 4.1, otherwise it'll use a per-partition
>> spin lock instead of "locked xadd" to increment the shared counters.
>
> That's already sufficient reason to reject the patch.  Not everyone
> uses gcc, let alone very recent versions of gcc.

hmm - 4.1.0 was released in february 2006, which will be much older than
even the 5 year support policy we have on pg when 9.2 will be released,
not sure how much it will matter if we don't support as specific
optimization on a gcc that old..

Stefan