Re: Review of VS 2010 support patches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Review of VS 2010 support patches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/07/2011 2:15 AM, Brar Piening wrote:

> I've replied on-list see:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-07/msg00066.php

Ah, sorry I missed that. I generally can't keep up with -hackers and
have to rely on being cc'd.

>> The patch (VS2010v7.patch) seems to mix significant changes with
>> whitespace fixes etc.
>
> Current version (VS2010v8.patch) which I've submitted on-list about one
> month ago has fixed this as per Tom Lane's comment.
> See: http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4DEDB6EE.9060307@gmx.de

That's what threw me, actually. The patch is named
"perltidy_before.patch"; I didn't see a separate VS2010v8.patch or link
to one and was trying to figure out how perltidy_before.patch related to
VS2010v7.patch .

It turns out that VS2010v8.patch is also attached to the same message.
Not that you'd know it from the ... interesting ... way the web ui
presents attachments. Sorry I missed it.

> I think the approach Andrew Dunstan chose (parsing the Makefiles) is
> even more flexible and future proof. We should probably be using his
> versions.
> See: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-07/msg00140.php
> and http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-07/msg00185.php

That makes sense. Do you want to integrate those in a v9 revision along
wiht a docs patch?

For the docs, it might be worth being more specific about the visual
studio versions. Instead of:

"PostgreSQL supports the compilers from Visual Studio 2005 and Visual
Studio 2008. When using the Platform SDK only, or when building for
64-bit Windows, only Visual Studio 2008 is supported."

I'd suggest writing:

"PostgreSQL supports compilation the compilers shipped with Visual
Studio 2005, 2008 and 2010 (including Express editions), as well as
standalone Windows SDK releases 6.0 to 7.1. Only 32-bit PostgreSQL
builds are supported with SDK versions prior to 6.1 and Visual Studio
versions prior to 2008."

Additionally, it might be worth expanding on "If you wish to build a
64-bit version, you must use the 64-bit version of the command, and vice
versa".

The free SDKs don't install both 32-bit and 64-bit environment start
menu items; they seem to just pick the local host architecture. My 7.1
SDK only has a start menu launcher for x64. So: Perhaps it's worth
mentioning that the "setenv" command can be used from within a Windows
SDK shell to switch architectures. "setenv /?" produces help. For Visual
Studio, use \VC\vcvarsall.bat in your Visual Studio installation
directory. See:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x4d2c09s(v=VS.100).aspx

> Actually my default builds are 64-bit builds as my PC is Win7 x64 and
> I'm using 64-Bit versions for my PostgreSQL work.

Ah, OK. Good to know.

I had no problems doing an x64 build using the Windows SDK version 7.1,
and tests passed fine.

Now I just need to test with Windows SDK 6.0 (if I can even get it to
install on win7 x64; the installer keeps crashing) as that's the SDK
shipped with Visual Studio 2005 SP1 .

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers