Re: [NOVICE] change data type 'money' to '€' - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ognjen Blagojevic
Subject Re: [NOVICE] change data type 'money' to '€'
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi Mäggi,

On 30.6.2011 17:15, Mäggi Hieber wrote:
> In our project table we have a column with costs, using data typ
> "money". By default PostgreSQL always applys '$', but we would like to
> have '€'.
> How can I change the data type "money" (currency) of a column in an
> existing table to '€'?

It is locale specific thing, defined in variable lc_monetary. If your
locale uses $, it will display $. If you want to display EUR instead,
you will need to set lc_monetary to the country using euros (say, Germany).

You may set lc_monetary in postgresql.conf, or within your sql client.
Here is the latter test case:

create table money_test (
   m money not null,
   primary key(m)