Re: creating CHECK constraints as NOT VALID - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: creating CHECK constraints as NOT VALID
Date
Re: creating CHECK constraints as NOT VALID
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro,  Dean,

>> I think that you also need to update the constraint exclusion code
>> > (get_relation_constraints() or nearby), otherwise the planner might
>> > exclude a relation on the basis of a CHECK constraint that is not
>> > currently VALID.
> Ouch, yeah, thanks for pointing that out.  Fortunately the patch to fix
> this is quite simple.  I don't have it handy right now but I'll post it
> soon.

Hmmm. Is this the behavior we want with NOT VALID constraints though?

I know that if I'm pouring 100m rows into a new partition as part of a
repartitioning scheme, I don't want to *ever* check them if I know
they're correct because of how I created the table (CREATE TABLE AS ...).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.