Re: Creating new remote branch in git? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Creating new remote branch in git?
Date
Re: Creating new remote branch in git?
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 06/13/2011 02:26 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I found the cause. When I added 'github' to ~/.gitconfig a few months
> > ago, I copied this line from .git/config:
> >
> >     fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
> >
> > If this line is in ~/.gitconfig for both 'origin' and 'github', git
> > cannot create .git/config entries.
> >
> > Attached is my corrected  ~/.gitconfig file.  I now use only the 'url'
> > branch entries, which is all that is needed.
> >
> [...]
> > [remote "origin"]
> >     url = ssh://git@gitmaster.postgresql.org/postgresql.git
> > # Do not add the next line or .git/config is not updated.
> > #    fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
> > [remote "github"]
> >     url = git@github.com:bmomjian/postgres.git
>

> Is putting remotes in your ~/.gitconfig  good practice? I certainly
> don't have any in mine.

Putting 'github' in there allows me to push/pull from github branches
without having to specify the github URL.

> The one for "origin" seems a particularly bad idea to me, although I
> don't claim that my git-fu is of the highest.

Yeah, it isn't necessary, but it does allow me to do:
git clone origin

again without having to specify the URL.

http://enterprisedb.com