Re: Creating new remote branch in git? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Abbate
Subject Re: Creating new remote branch in git?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/10/2011 12:40 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Yes, I was reading exactly that before posting.  It talks about pushing
> a branch you've created locally, and it talks about what happens when
> others pull that down, and it's about as clear as mud w/r/t how the
> original pusher sees the remote branch.  What I want is to end up
> with my local branch tracking the remote branch in the same way as if
> I'd not been the branch creator.  Preferably without having to do
> anything as ugly as delete the branch, or re-clone, or manually hack
> config files.  This has got to be a use case that the git authors
> have heard of before...

You don't have to do any of those ugly steps. By creating the branch,
you see it in your own environment.  By pushing it to origin, the remote
branch is created and others can see it.  You can checkout master after
the push and continue working.

Joe