Re: Creating new remote branch in git? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Creating new remote branch in git?
Date
Re: Creating new remote branch in git?
Re: Creating new remote branch in git?
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Abbate <jma@freedomcircle.com> writes:
> No, it doesn't trash anything.  The branch is just an additional
> "pointer" to 'master' (at that point in time).  I recommend taking a
> look at this:

> http://progit.org/book/ch3-5.html

Yes, I was reading exactly that before posting.  It talks about pushing
a branch you've created locally, and it talks about what happens when
others pull that down, and it's about as clear as mud w/r/t how the
original pusher sees the remote branch.  What I want is to end up
with my local branch tracking the remote branch in the same way as if
I'd not been the branch creator.  Preferably without having to do
anything as ugly as delete the branch, or re-clone, or manually hack
config files.  This has got to be a use case that the git authors
have heard of before...