Re: WIP: AuthenticationMD5 protocol documentation clarification - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: WIP: AuthenticationMD5 protocol documentation clarification
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06.06.2011 16:58, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Cyan Ogilvie<cyan.ogilvie@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> This is my first patch, so I hope I've got the process right for submitting
>> patches.
>
> You're doing great.  I suspect we do want to either (1) reword what
> you've done in English, rather than writing it as code, or at least
> (2) add some SGML markup to the code.  Our next CommitFest starts in
> just over a week, so you should receive some more specific feedback
> pretty soon.

That is quite complicated to explain in plain English, so some sort of
pseudo-code is probably a good idea. I would recommend not to formulate
it as a SQL expression, though. It makes you think you could execute it
from psql or something. Even if you know that's not how to do it, it
feels confusing. Maybe something like:

<literal>md5</literal> hex_encode(md5(hex_encode(md5(password username)
salt)

with some extra markup to make it look pretty.