Re: PQdeleteTuple function in libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Chernow
Subject Re: PQdeleteTuple function in libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/2/2011 11:02 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Andrew Chernow's message of jue jun 02 10:12:40 -0400 2011:
>
>>> Andrew, why we have PQmakeEmptyPGresult, PQcopyResult,
>>> PQsetResultAttrs, PQsetvalue and PQresultAlloc in this case? Of course
>>> there's no big deal with their absence but let's be consistent.
>>
>> I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do, but can't you use
>> PQmakeEmptyPGresult, PQsetResultAttrs and PQsetvalue to construct a
>> result that excludes the tuples you don't want followed by a
>> PQclear(initial_result)?
>
> Seems pretty wasteful if you want to delete a single tuple from a large
> result.  I think if you desired to compact the result to free some
> memory after deleting a large fraction of the tuples in the result it
> could be useful to do that, otherwise just live with the unused holes in
> the storage area as suggested by Pavel.

Another solution is to manually cursor through the set (like grab 1000
tuples at a time) and copy the set to your own structure.  That way, the
temporary double memory to perform the copy is not as big of a hit.  By
using your own structure, you can organize the memory in a fashion that
is optimized for your requirement.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC