Re: [HACKERS] PQdeleteTuple function in libpq - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PQdeleteTuple function in libpq
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Excerpts from Andrew Chernow's message of jue jun 02 10:12:40 -0400 2011:

> > Andrew, why we have PQmakeEmptyPGresult, PQcopyResult,
> > PQsetResultAttrs, PQsetvalue and PQresultAlloc in this case? Of course
> > there's no big deal with their absence but let's be consistent.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do, but can't you use
> PQmakeEmptyPGresult, PQsetResultAttrs and PQsetvalue to construct a
> result that excludes the tuples you don't want followed by a
> PQclear(initial_result)?

Seems pretty wasteful if you want to delete a single tuple from a large
result.  I think if you desired to compact the result to free some
memory after deleting a large fraction of the tuples in the result it
could be useful to do that, otherwise just live with the unused holes in
the storage area as suggested by Pavel.