Re: Problems Pgdump - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Problems Pgdump
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 25/05/11 03:26, manuel antonio ochoa wrote:
> sorry  I cound finish my problem.
>
> I trying to get the next one :
>
> pg_dump -h 192.170.1.3 -U  User --format custom --inserts --verbose
> --file \"/root/Desktop/$name .backup\" --table "$ESQUEMA.$Nametable" DB"
>
> my Name table is  detalle_Inegra , and the problem is that it table
> alwals sent me a message like i COULD NOT FIND THE NAME  OF TABLE but
> the table exist and

It's almost certainly a case-folding issue. It'd help if you posted the
output of:
 \d

in the database of interest.

At a guess, what's happening is that you have a mixed-case table name.
Let's say it's called "Fred". You're trying to run:
 pg_dump --table "Fred" dbname

The shell consumes the double-quotes during argument processing, so what
pg_dump actually sees is three arguments:
 --table Fred dbname

Because of case-folding rules, table names that are not double-quoted
are folded to lower-case. This means that the table names:
 Fred FRED fred FrEd

are all interpreted as meaning the table "fred" (lower case).

If you need to preserve case, you need to protect the double quotes from
consumption by the shell, so you send the argument "Fred" to pg_dump. In
your command line above, you would change
 --table "$ESQUEMA.$Nametable"

 --table "\"$ESQUEMA\".\"$Nametable\""

... adding a pair of escaped double-quotes around both the table and
schema names that the shell does NOT consume. The outer double-quotes
need to be retained in case the table or schema names contain shell
meta-characters and/or spaces.

To learn more about postgresql's case folding, see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS

http://sql-info.de/postgresql/postgres-gotchas.html

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-04/msg00818.php

--