Re: Which version of PostgreSQL should I use. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Which version of PostgreSQL should I use.
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 24/05/11 18:58, Jasmin Dizdarevic wrote:
> Alright, I've misunderstood this issue. Do you have to escape bytea
> columns during export or import? And how you would do this?

Some database drivers and some apps don't understand the new hex output
format for bytea columns.

IIRC, the format change should ONLY affect how bytea values are sent
from the server to the client using the standard text-based postgresql
protocol.

When using apps/drivers that aren't ready for the hex format yet, you must
 SET bytea_output TO 'escape';

This can be done at the postgresql.conf level (globally), by ALTERing
the database the app uses, by ALTERing the user ID the app connects
with, or by modifying the app so it knows to issue an explicit SET
before doing any work with a connection.

AFAIK there is no impact on dump/load, though you *could* see problems
if you used an application's own dump/load feature rather than pg_dump
and the app wasn't ready for the new bytea format.

--
Craig Ringer