Re: how to start a procedure after postgresql started. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: how to start a procedure after postgresql started.
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/22/11 10:45 AM, Darren Duncan wrote:
>> ...but your entire application would be running in a single
>> transaction.  I don't think thats a good thing.
>
> Absolutely.  But if the kind of stored procedures were supported that
> can do anything a database client can do, including transaction
> control statements, then the main program routine would typically be
> one of those.

yes, but postgres doesn't support the idea of stored procedures callable
outside of transactions, so I don't know how this could be implemented
without some major rework of the core engine.

for the sake of the novices amongst us, let me clarify my earlier
statement that a single long running transaction is not a good thing.
Vacuum can not free up tuples newer than the oldest pending
transaction.   This will put quite a lot of hurt on a update intensive
database over a period of hours or days.