Re: Help - corruption issue? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Help - corruption issue?
Date
List pgsql-general

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?camp=1789&creative=9325&ie=UTF8&i..."
>> server closed the connection unexpectedly
>>     This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>>     before or while processing the request.
>> The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed.
>>

>> Is this any use at all?  Would appreciate any pointers!
>

> I didn't follow the entire thread, so maybe someone mentioned this already, but...
> Usually if we see error messages like those it turns out the OS is killing the postgres process with it's equivalent
ofa low-on-memory-killer. I know Linux's got such a beast, and that you can turn it off.

> It's a frequently recurring issue on this list, there's bound to be some pointers in the archives ;)

Not sure if this COPY failure is caused by the same issue as before, but
the original issue was caused by this

pg_dump: SQL command failed
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  invalid memory alloc
request size 4294967293
pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.links (id, link_id, alias,
aliasentered, url, user_known, user_id, url_encrypted, title, private,
private_key, status, create_date, modify_date, disable_in_statistics,
user_running_id, url_host_long) TO stdout;
pg_dumpall: pg_dump failed on database "snipurl", exiting

i.e. a bad memory alloc request (with negative size). That does not seem
like an OOM killing the backend.

regards
Tomas