Re: Compression - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Compression
Date
List pgsql-general
On 15/04/2011 8:07 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> "EXTENDED allows both compression and out-of-line storage. This is the
> default for most TOAST-able data types. Compression will be attempted
> first, then out-of-
>
> line storage if the row is still too big. "

Good point. I was unclear; thanks for pointing it out.

What I was trying to say is that there's no whole-row compression, ie
compression of the whole tuple except for minimal headers. A value in a
field may be compressed, but you can't (say) compress a 100-column row
of integers in Pg, because the individual fields don't support compression.

--
Craig Ringer