Re: Compression - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Compression
Date
Re: Compression
List pgsql-general

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:50:44 pm Craig Ringer wrote:

> On 15/04/2011 7:01 AM, Yang Zhang wrote:

> > Is there any effort to add compression into PG, a la MySQL's

> > row_format=compressed or HBase's LZO block compression?

> There's no row compression, but as mentioned by others there is

> out-of-line compression of large values using TOAST.

I could be misunderstanding but I thought compression happened in the row as well. From the docs:

"EXTENDED allows both compression and out-of-line storage. This is the default for most TOAST-able data types. Compression will be attempted first, then out-of-

line storage if the row is still too big. "

--

Adrian Klaver

adrian.klaver@gmail.com