regclass and search_path - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Abbate
Subject regclass and search_path
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm using the autodoc regression database available at

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/autodoc/autodoc/regressdatabase.sql?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

This has several schemas that have cross-schema foreign key constraints
such as the following:

  autodoc=> \d product.product
                                        Table "product.product"
        Column        |  Type   |                              Modifiers

---------------------+---------+----------------------------------------------------------------------
  product_id          | integer | not null default
nextval('product.product_product_id_seq'::regclass)
  product_code        | text    | not null
  product_description | text    |
     "product_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (product_id)
     "product_product_code_key" UNIQUE, btree (product_code)
Check constraints:
     "product_product_code_check" CHECK (product_code = upper(product_code))
Referenced by:
     TABLE "store.inventory" CONSTRAINT "inventory_product_id_fkey"
FOREIGN KEY (product_id) REFERENCES product.product(product_id) ON
UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE RESTRICT
     TABLE "warehouse.inventory" CONSTRAINT "inventory_product_id_fkey"
FOREIGN KEY (product_id) REFERENCES product.product(product_id) ON
UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE RESTRICT

I'm using this to validate a tool I'm building and I get an error on the
following query:

autodoc=> SELECT conname::regclass FROM pg_constraint
autodoc->       WHERE contype = 'u';
ERROR:  relation "product_product_code_key" does not exist

The 8.4 documentation says:

The regclass input converter handles the table lookup according to the
schema path setting, and so it does the "right thing" automatically.

My search path is the default "$user", public and I'm only able to avoid
the error if I set the search_path to cover all the schemas, e.g.,

autodoc=> set search_path to "$user", public, product, store, warehouse;
SET
autodoc=> SELECT conname::regclass FROM pg_constraint
       WHERE contype = 'u';
               conname
------------------------------------
  product_product_code_key
  store_store_code_key
  warehouse_warehouse_code_key
  warehouse_warehouse_supervisor_key
(4 rows)

I would've thought that the "right thing" would have involved prepending
the schema to the constraint name, e.g.,
product.product_product_code_key as is done for the table names in the
\d output. Is this a bug or does regclass only do the "right thing" for
tables and not for constraints?

Joe