Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Urbański
Subject Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/03/11 01:05, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 03/01/2011 05:19 PM, Jan Urbański wrote:

>>> I agree.

>>> Is there anything you need that would help you?
>> Could you try this patch and see if it fixes the failures?
>>
>> I'm at a loss as to why this happens, but judging from the traceback the
>> spiexceptions module is getting unreffed somewhere and when garbage
>> collection kicks it it barfs on an object with refcount 0. So I'm
>> forcing an incref of the module to confirm that.
>>
>> I tried various tricks on 32 bit Debian, with Python 2.6, 2.7, Python
>> compiled from Fedora's SRPM and I never saw anything wrong. Will keep on
>> trying, but tommorrow evening, time to sleep :(
>
> Thanks.
>
> That seems to have fixed it, so I have applied the patch. Would you like
> to supply some comments to got with it?

The comment would be something like

/* XXX it appears that in some circumstantes the reference count of the
spiexceptions module drops to zero causing a Python assert failure when
the garbage collector visits the module. This has been observed on the
buildfarm. To fix this, add an additional ref for the module here. */

I have no idea why the refcount of the module becomes zero, debug prints
I added on my system were always showing 1.

Jan