Re: Top five challenges - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From silly sad
Subject Re: Top five challenges
Date
Re: Top five challenges
Re: Top five challenges
Re: Top five challenges
List pgsql-advocacy
On 02/28/11 22:58, damien clochard wrote:
> Le 26/02/2011 22:39, Josh Berkus a écrit :
>>
>>> Well, it's with the minutes of the 2007 developer meeting ... *if*
>>> anyone can find that on the wiki.  Someday we need to fix wiki search.
>>
>> Aha found it, no thanks to wiki search, and no thanks to Spotlight either.
>>
>> So, my memory was wrong.  Actually, they reported having a one-click
>> install as the #1 issue, not the #3 issue:
>>
>> 1. Easy Install
>>
>> 2. Simple, low-overhead replication
>>
>> 3. Upgrade-in-place
>>
>> 4. Administration & monitoring
>>
>> 5. Driver quality/maintenance
>>
>> ... it's really nice the number of the above issues we've knocked out
>> since 2007.
>>

> yes... it would be interesting to know what are the 5 next challenges :)

1. To get rid of nasty CSTRING type
2. To get rid of the difference between TEXT and BYTEA (and then get rid
of the BYTEA)
3. To make TIMESTAMPTZ useful by introducing proper type cast
TIMESTAMPTZ to TIMESTAMP
4. Introduce a pair of preferences (server_timezone, client_timezone)
instead of a single pref (timezone) (and use their values similar as
(client_encoding, server_encoding) are used)
5. N/A

the Postrgesql is too good for me to compose 5th challenge.
but these four are too disturbing and irrational.

example

SELECT 'epoch'::TIMESTAMP = 'epoch'::TIMESTAMPTZ::TIMESTAMP;

OOPS! we have TWO DIFFERENT EPOCHS!!!