Re: Top five challenges - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Top five challenges
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Excerpts from silly sad's message of mar mar 01 03:39:35 -0300 2011:

> 3. To make TIMESTAMPTZ useful by introducing proper type cast
> TIMESTAMPTZ to TIMESTAMP

I think this is the AT TIME ZONE operator (works both ways).

> 4. Introduce a pair of preferences (server_timezone, client_timezone)
> instead of a single pref (timezone) (and use their values similar as
> (client_encoding, server_encoding) are used)

I think server_timezone is hardwired as GMT.  client_timezone is our
current timezone setting.  I don't see the point in having
server_timezone be configurable ... is there one?