Re: Corrupted disk - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Corrupted disk
Date
List pgsql-admin
Tony Nelson wrote:
> I am ok, because I have a dump from last night, and wal since then.

Dumps made with pg_dump are easy to restore from.  But they're fixed in
time:  there is no applying WALs to them in order to update them.
Anything that's happened to the server since then you can't add.

If you made a filesystem copy of the server using
pg_start_backup/pg_stop_backup, and you save all of the WAL files after
the backup began, that's also useful.  You can store from that backup
and apply all the WAL that's happened since then.

> Can I drop/create/restore from this dump?  Or should I restore from last nights full and apply the WAL?

If last night's backup with a filesystem one done with
pg_start_backup/pg_stop_backup, and you have WAL since then, I would
favor that set as likely to work fine.  But it sounds like what you have
might instead be a pg_dump backup and some WAL files; you can't apply
the WAL to such a dump.

Whatever you do, you want to make a full filesystem copy of the server's
data directory--with the server shutdown--before you do anything else.
It's possible to recover from page errors and extract the available data
using the right data recovery techniques, especially if there's a
pg_dump available too; we offer some services in this area.  But if any
serious changes are made to the database before we get to it, odds of
successful recovery can drop fast.