Corrupted disk - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tony Nelson
Subject Corrupted disk
Date
List pgsql-admin
Good morning all,

This morning  my server (ubuntu 10.04 LTS, pg 8.4 from apt) experienced a disk corruption which caused errors like
this:

Feb 18 08:50:07 ihdb1 postgres[13317]: [2-1] user=postgres,db=instihire ERROR:  invalid page header in block 10 of
relationbase/16384/8082305

I am ok, because I have a dump from last night, and wal since then.

As a test, I tried doing a dump like this from the broken server:

pg_dump -Fc mydb > busted.dump

I restored this dump on a test server, and all of the data looks ok, and my application is able to run the operation
thatwas failing in production just fine.

My question is  simple, is my dump good?  Is it possible that pg_dump was able to correctly save the data that "select
.." and "update.. " couldn't.

Can I drop/create/restore from this dump?  Or should I restore from last nights full and apply the WAL?

Thanks for any help.

Tony Nelson
Starpoint  Solutions