Re: BUG #5862: Postgres dumps core upon a connection attempt - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: BUG #5862: Postgres dumps core upon a connection attempt
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 03/02/11 09:53, Matt Zinicola wrote:
> Apologies for lack of detail.  Although I've been using Postgres for
> years, this is the first time I've had such an issue.
>
> Build options were only --with-perl and --with-python
>
> Below is the output when two different applications attempt to connect
> to my 9.0.3 server (note, the second is psql itself):
>
> [root@infinity postgres]# /etc/init.d/archiveopteryx start
> Starting Archiveopteryx: aox: Couldn't connect to PostgreSQL. (on
> backend 1)
> /etc/init.d/archiveopteryx: line 24:  4240 Segmentation
> fault      /usr/local/archiveopteryx/bin/aox start
> done.
>
> [postgres@infinity scripts]$ psql template1
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

OK, so it's not the PostgreSQL backend that's crashing, it's psql.

You almost certainly have conflicting libraries lurking around
somewhere, so psql was built against one libpq but lands up getting
linked to another at runtime.

--
System & Network Administrator
POST Newspapers