Re: Passing a variable from the user interface to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Mladen Gogala
Subject Re: Passing a variable from the user interface to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-novice
Chris Campbell wrote:

> Using:
>
> Windows 7 64bit
>
> VB.net 2010
>
> The latest devart.data.PostgreSQL (.net data connection)
>
> PostgreSQL 9.0.2
>

> Hi all,
>

> Question: Is there a way to pass a variable from an application’s user
> interface to the database such that it would be visible inside a
> database trigger and any corresponding function call?
>

> When a record gets deleted, a table trigger fires that writes to a log
> table.  What I want to do is pass a variable from the user interface
> to the trigger function so I can write the variable’s value to the log
> record that I create in a function called from the trigger event.  I’m
> not sure how this could even be accomplished unless somehow it was
> possible to pass a variable through the data connection itself.  But
> even then, how would the trigger function be able to see it and pass
> it along?  Is there some other mechanism or approach I should be taking?
>

> I’m thinking it’s not possible but thought I would ask anyway.
>

> Thanks for any comments,
>

> Chris Campbell
>
> ccampbell@CascadeDS.com <mailto:ccampbell@CascadeDS.com>

Well, obviously, it isn't possible to pass a variable from UI to a
trigger. What is possible is to send the record primary key, along with
any messages you need, to a background process, using some kind of a
message passing mechanism, and there are plenty of those. The background
process can delete the row and write message in a single transaction. It
can even converse with the UI using message passing system. An excellent
example of such a system, priced exactly right, is Apache ActiveMQ.
Apache ActiveMQ price is exactly half of the  Postgres price.

--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA