Passing a variable from the user interface to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Chris Campbell
Subject Passing a variable from the user interface to PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Passing a variable from the user interface to PostgreSQL  (Mladen Gogala <mladen.gogala@vmsinfo.com>)
List pgsql-novice

Using:

Windows 7 64bit

VB.net 2010

The latest devart.data.PostgreSQL (.net data connection)

PostgreSQL 9.0.2

Hi all,

Question: Is there a way to pass a variable from an application’s user interface to the database such that it would be visible inside a database trigger and any corresponding function call?

When a record gets deleted, a table trigger fires that writes to a log table.  What I want to do is pass a variable from the user interface to the trigger function so I can write the variable’s value to the log record that I create in a function called from the trigger event.  I’m not sure how this could even be accomplished unless somehow it was possible to pass a variable through the data connection itself.  But even then, how would the trigger function be able to see it and pass it along?  Is there some other mechanism or approach I should be taking?

I’m thinking it’s not possible but thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks for any comments,

Chris Campbell

ccampbell@CascadeDS.com