Re: SSI and Hot Standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: SSI and Hot Standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> (1)  A read write transaction might need to be canceled to
> prevent the view of the data a committed read only transaction has
> already seen from becoming inconsistent.  (Dan's example)
And this one seems entirely a theoretical possibility.  I spent a
little time looking it over, and I don't see how it could be made to
work from hot standbys without an unbounded flow of predicate lock
information from all standbys to the master *plus* blocking commits
on the master for the duration of the longest round trip latency to
any standby.  I think we can call this one dead on arrival.
-Kevin