Re: Spread checkpoint sync - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Spread checkpoint sync
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff Janes wrote:
> Have you ever tested Robert's other idea of having a metronome process
> do a periodic fsync on a dummy file which is located on the same ext3fs
> as the table files?  I think that that would be interesting to see.

To be frank, I really don't care about fixing this behavior on ext3,
especially in the context of that sort of hack.  That filesystem is not
the future, it's not possible to ever really make it work right, and
every minute spent on pandering to its limitations would be better spent
elsewhere IMHO.  I'm starting with the ext3 benchmarks just to provide
some proper context for the worst-case behavior people can see right
now, and to make sure refactoring here doesn't make things worse on it.
My target is same or slightly better on ext3, much better on XFS and ext4.