Re: Best practice to get performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: Best practice to get performance
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/19/2010 4:04 PM, Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 11/19/10 15:49, Andy Colson wrote:
>
>> unlogged will only help insert/update performance. Lookup tables sound
>> readonly for a majority of time. (I'm assuming lots of reads and every
>> once and a while updates). I doubt that unlogged tables would speed up
>> lookup tables.
>
> Are FreeBSD's temp tables still storage-backed? (i.e. are there
> memory-backed temp tables)?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking.  Not sure what this has to do
with FreeBSD, or its temp tables.

Unless: s/freebsd/postgres/i

Ah, yes, Postgres temp tables still make it to disk eventually.  They
are not WAL logged (but if they get really big they spill to disk).
There are no memory only tables, no.  But PG will cache the heck out of
all tables, so you get the best of both worlds.

-Andy