Re: Upgrading 8.2 to 8.4: pg_restore: did not find magic string in file header\n - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Upgrading 8.2 to 8.4: pg_restore: did not find magic string in file header\n
Date
Re: Upgrading 8.2 to 8.4: pg_restore: did not find magic string in file header\n  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> writes:
> Now I understand. I wonder if this would be a good time to ask about
> whether pg_restore could be made to work with plain-text files:)

Not in any particularly useful way --- the plain text dump wouldn't
really support selective restore, etc etc.

> ... Though I could see a shortcut that passes a plain text file to
> psql or at least creates an error message that says:

> "Please use psql with the -f option to restore this file"

Yeah, I was thinking a hint might be the most useful fix too.

            regards, tom lane