Re: Upgrading 8.2 to 8.4: pg_restore: did not find magic string in file header\n - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Upgrading 8.2 to 8.4: pg_restore: did not find magic string in file header\n
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 19 November 2010 2:45:33 pm Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> writes:
> > Now I understand. I wonder if this would be a good time to ask about
> > whether pg_restore could be made to work with plain-text files:)
>
> Not in any particularly useful way --- the plain text dump wouldn't
> really support selective restore, etc etc.

True, but I was thinking of something like:

  if $FILE_TYPE = plain_text
      echo 'This is a plain text file it will be passed to psql'
      echo 'It does not support all the features of a binary restore'
      dialog 'Do you wish to continue yes/no>'
      if yes
          psql $OPTIONS -f $FILE_NAME
      else
         exit
      # Where $OPTIONS are the -d -p -U and -h switches
  else
      continue with existing code path

> > ... Though I could see a shortcut that passes a plain text file to
> > psql or at least creates an error message that says:
> >
> > "Please use psql with the -f option to restore this file"
>
> Yeah, I was thinking a hint might be the most useful fix too.

That would help also.

>             regards, tom lane

Thanks,
--