Re: 8.4 Data Not Compatible with 9.0.1 Upgrade? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Clark
Subject Re: 8.4 Data Not Compatible with 9.0.1 Upgrade?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/01/2010 02:49 PM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Steve Crawford
<scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> wrote:

I'm guessing you are missing an initdb. Move your old data directory
somewhere else for now and do a new initdb so you can start up version 9.
When you say 'old data' can you be more specific as to the path and
possible files I need to move?

I go to '/var/lib/postgres/data/' directory however I am not sure
where from that folder structure I need to start moving files away
without breaking basic server functionality & connection data.

mv /var/lib/postgres/data  /var/lib/postgres/data.old

You will then have to do an initdb to create the basic 9.x databases.
You can then use psql or pg_restore depending on how you dumped
your data to restore your databases.

With fedora you use either:
/etc/init.d/postgresql initdb
or