Re: max_wal_senders must die - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: max_wal_senders must die
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> If we could agree on some workloads, I could run some benchmarks.  I'm
> not sure what those would be though, given that COPY and ALTER TABLE
> aren't generally included in most benchmarks.

You can usefully and easily benchmark this by timing a simple pgbench
initialization at a decently large scale.  The COPY used to populate the
giant accounts table takes advantage of the WAL bypass fast path if
available, and you can watch performance tank the minute one of the
options that disables it is turned on.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us