Re: how to PG close session - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: how to PG close session
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Little, Douglas" <DOUGLAS.LITTLE@orbitz.com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner [mailto:Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov] wrote:
>> "Little, Douglas" <DOUGLAS.LITTLE@orbitz.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We have a number of long running java/jdbc applications that
>>> wait for events and then extract data from PG.
>>> During the time the apps are running,   The app is maintaining
>>> active connections to PG.
>>> Is there a way that we can close/terminate the pg session so
>>> that the connections don't consume resource unnecessarily.

>> Some trigger could recognize that an event has occurred, and call
>> a function to signal

> Currently it's keeping 16 open connections and it isn't even
> running.   I believe that they(finance) can run 5 concurrent java
> apps and each opens a number of sessions.   Currently all 16
> sessions are owned by 1 datid.  So potentially it's 80
> connections,   this is on top of all our cognos (which also leaves
> connections open).   We're typically have 80 - 300 connections
> open.

Oh, these connections aren't waiting for *database* events?  Then
you should either restructure the apps or use a connection pool.
Two popular "drop in" connection poolers are pgbouncer and pgpool.

> I'm really looking for the PG command to close a session.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-ADMIN-SIGNAL-TABLE

-Kevin