Re: [BUGS] Mapping Hibernate boolean to smallint(Postgresql) - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: [BUGS] Mapping Hibernate boolean to smallint(Postgresql)
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
stagirus <mamasa@stagirus.com> wrote:

> From your comments/observations, are you saying that there could
> be some coding issues regarding these conversions between boolean
> and integers?

I'm saying that while the code is probably behaving as the person
who contributed it to PostgreSQL intended, it appears not to comply
with the current standard.  The PostgreSQL community generally makes
a pretty good effort toward conforming to standards.  If it's
relatively easy to make it conform to the standard, someone will
probably just do it.  (Heck, it could even be me.)  If it's a lot of
work, someone who needs the feature may have to take on the burden
of the change, either by offering a patch to implement it or paying
someone to do so.

> Because I have not worked with the internals of Hibernate/JDBC
> drivers, I cannot definitively state if Hibernate is calling
> setters and getters (setBoolean) using prepared statements or
> directly executes INSERT/UPDATE statements. Anything is possible.

Hence the request for the stack trace.  Most people have a pretty
full plate, and aren't eager to volunteer their time to work on
something which might not actually help anyone.

-Kevin