Re: Configure/Build 9.0 rc1 - cannot build against python3.1, with two versions of python in the environment - Mailing list pgsql-testers

From Bill Weinman
Subject Re: Configure/Build 9.0 rc1 - cannot build against python3.1, with two versions of python in the environment
Date
List pgsql-testers
On 2010-09-12 8:19 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> AFAICS, it'll pick whichever version is executed when you say "python".
> Doesn't seem like an unreasonable behavior to me.

I would argue that this is not reasonable behavior.

Because most current *NIX systems depend on python 2 for system scripts,
the only way to reasonably use python 3 is to install it in addition to,
not instead of, python 2. So most systems with python 3 will run python
2 when you say "python" and python 3 when you say "python3".

For example, on my Mac running OSX 10.6.4 ...

   $ python -V
   Python 2.6.1

   $ python3 -V
   Python 3.1.1